Saturday, March 7, 2009

Name the Team, win Celtics tickets?

It seems as though the ownership really wants to get the community involved with the team. They are leaving it up to the fans to vote for one of seven names. One of the voters will apparantly win two tickets to a Celtics playoff game. Score!
I am not overly impressed with the selections. I understand it has to be Maine related but we have some really lame symbols in Maine.

Beacons - What's the mascott going to be, a big lighthouse?
Crushers, Claws, Red Claws - Yeah I get it, we are known for lobsters. I'm hoping for green and white team colors, though.
Swarm - The site describes it as being related to our state insect: The Honey Bee. How intimidating that would be for opponents! I suppose if we went with more of a Mosquito theme I could deal with this one.
Traps - Just another lame lobster related name that offers no suggestion as to what the mascott could be.
Destroyers - Finally, something athletic sounding. Still creates the need for coming up with a mascott, however. This one is my pick.

So that's my two cents on the naming issue!
Here's the link to the Portland Press Herald article: http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=243302&ac=PHnws
And this is the direct link to the voting.
http://www.nba.com/webAction?actionId=surveyInitializeIntegrated&target=/dleague/maine/name_team_090304.jsp&surveyId=1760

No comments:

Post a Comment